(2) D i s c o n n e c t the electrical cable from
holder with the lockwasher (11) and
s c r e w (10).
(3) Remove two hex nuts and lockwashers
(7) I n s t a l l the other brush in a similar
that secure the starter support bracket
(21, fig. 20) to the crankcase.
(8) Position the end bell (1) on the hous-
(4) Remove the three bolts and lockwash-
i n g (44) and secure with the two
ers that secure the starter in the fly-
lockwashers (3) and bolts (2).
wheel shroud and remove the starter.
(5) R e m o v e t h e s c r e w ( 2 2 ) a n d f l a t
(1) Mount the fan (18, fig. 19) and the
washer (36) that secures the support
pulley (15) on the shaft of the arma-
b r a c k e t to the end bell (24) and re-
move the bracket from the starter.
( 2 ) Install the lockwasher (16) and hex
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
n u t (17) on the armature shaft.
(1) Clean the external surfaces of the
starter with a cloth dampened in an
(1) Connect the leads of the shield box (1,
a p p r o v e d cleaning solvent and dry
fig. 16) to the terminals of the engine
thoroughly. Clean corrosion from the
accessory generator (9) in accordance
electrical terminal of the starter.
w i t h tags attached during removal.
(2) Inspect the terminal of the starter for
Place shield box on the generator and
c o r r o s i o n and damaged threads.
s e c u r e with the lockwasher (3) and
(3) R e m o v e the brush access cover and
s c r e w (2).
inspect the starter internally for dam-
(2) P o s i t i o n the generator on the gener-
age. Inspect the brushes for oil soaked
a t o r mounting plate (20) and secure
c o n d i t i o n and excessive wear. If the
with the two flat washers (13), lock-
brushes are less than half their orig-
washers (12), and bolts (11).
inal length replace the brushes as di-
(3) Install the belt on the pulleys and ad-
rected in c below. Refer a defective
just the belt as prescribed in a a b o v e .
starter to depot maintenance for over-
(4) Connect the 2 shielded cables to the `2
e l e c t r i c a l plug connectors (4) in ac-
c. Brush Replacement.
c o r d a n c e with tags attached during
(1) Lift the four brushes (28 and 29) out
of the brush holders.
(2) R e m o v e the four screws (25) and
1 1 3 . Electrical Engine Starter
lockwashers (26) that secure the end
bell (24) to the housing assembly (35)
and remove the end bell.
(1) Remove the battery (par. 9).