(7) Inspect all attaching hardware for
(4) Remove the spur gear (13) and stub
distortion and damaged threads and
shaft (17) from the body.
replace if defective.
(5) Remove the drive shaft (16) with at-
tached spur gear (15) from the pump
body. Drive the headless straight pin
(1) Press the drive shaft (16, fig. 35) into
(14) out of the gear and press the
the spur gear (15) and install the
drive shaft out of the gear.
headless straight pin (14). Insert the
c. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
drive shaft with attached gear in the
(1) C l e a n all parts with an approved
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Install the stub shaft (17) and spur
Blow oil passages clean with com-
gear (13) in the body.
(3) Position a new gasket (12) and the
(2) Inspect the gears for cracked, chipped,
cover (11) on the pump body and se-
or excessively worn teeth. Replace a
cure with the six lockwashers (7)
and screws (6).
(3) Inspect the cover and body for cracks,
(4) I n s e r t the bearing ball (10) and
breaks, distortion and damaged
spring (9) in the cover, compress the
threads. Replace a defective cover or
spring and install the cotter pin (8).
(4) Inspect the shafts for nicks, burs, and
(5) Mount the screen (5) on the cover
distortion. Remove minor abrasions.
and secure with the four lockwashers
Check the fit of the stub shaft in the
(4) and screws (3).
gear. Replace a defective shaft. Check
the fit of the drive shaft in the pump
body. Replace an excessively worn
(1) Install the oil pump assembly in the
shaft or pump body.
crankcase and secure with the oil
(5) Inspect the bearing ball for pits and
pump lockscrew and pipe plug.
proper seating in the cover. Replace
(2) Install the oil pump gear (par. 190).
a defective ball.
(3) Install the crankcase bottom plate
(6) Inspect the spring for cracks, distor-
tion, and for lack of tension. Replace
(4) Install the engine (par. 108).
a defective spring.
Section V. CRANKSHAFT AND CAMSHAFT GROUP
ring in the other grooves. The camshaft is
driven through gears by the crankshaft. The
The crankshaft is supported at both ends by
camshaft, through the valve lifters, operates
roller bearings. The outer race of the bearing
the intake and exhaust valves at the precise
at the power take off end of the engine, is car-
time in relation to engine cycle.
ried in the main bearing retainer plate, which
is secured to the crankcase. Shims are installed
195. Connecting Rod and Piston
between the bearing plate and crankshaft to
provide a means of adjusting crankshaft end
play. The connecting rods, which are installed
(1) Remove the oil pump (par. 193).
on the crankshaft, are drop forgings fitted with
(2) Remove the cylinder heads (par. 124).
(3) Turn the crankshaft until the lower
cast iron with four rings fitted to each piston.
end of the desired connecting rod (12,
Two compression rings are in the two top
fig. 36) is accessible.
grooves, followed by a scraper ring and an oil