Section IV. OPERATIONAL CHECKOUT
instructions authorized at the Aviation Unit Mainte-
3-10. GENERAL. Refer to Chapter 2, Section II
nance level. Repair or replacement of all other
Operating Procedures for test stand checkout. Sec-
parts is to be done at Aviation Intermediate mainte-
tion V of this chapter provides repair or replacement
Section V. REPAIR AND REPLACEMENT OF AUTHORIZED PARTS
3-11. REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT.
(6) Install terminal adapters (5 and 6) on the
proper battery terminals. Tighten nuts on
a. Battery. (See figure 3-4.) To remove and re-
terminal adapters until terminal adapters
place the battery, proceed as follows:
are tight and will not move.
(7) Install cover (4) over battery and insert
ends of hook bolts (3) through holes in
If you are going to install a new battery,
activate the new battery according to the
instructions in paragraph 3-1f.
(8) Install lockwashers (2) and nuts (1) on hook
(1) Remove nuts (1) and lockwashers (2) from
hook bolts (3) that hold cover (4) over bat-
b. Air Cleaner. (See figure 3-5.) Disassemble
(2) Loosen nuts on terminal adapters (5 and 6)
and service the air cleaner as follows:
and remove terminal adapters, positive
Remove air intake cap (4).
terminal first, from battery terminals.
Loosen thumbscrew (5) and remove oil cup
(3) Inspect and clean battery cables.
(6) from air cleaner assembly.
(4) Remove defective battery and ins tall new
(3) Discard oil in oil cup (6). Wash oil cup
battery with positive terminal in the same
position as it was with the old battery.
and air intake in approved cleaning solvent
(item 1, table 1-7). Dry thoroughly.
(5) Clean battery terminals and terminal
Fill oil cup (6) to level mark with clean oil
adapters with a stiff wire brush.
of proper grade (table 3-5). Install oil cup
CA -- --
on air cleaner assembly and tighten
Make sure battery cable connections are
(5) Install air intake cap (4) on top of air
not reversed. Damage to the charging
system can be caused by polarity reversal.